History

highland-golf2

In 1925, a group of businessmen purchased 90 acres from Rogers Development and built a nine-hole, semi-private golf course.  Located on one of the highest elevations in Cayuga County, the name Highland Park was adopted.

During the 1930’s, the course underwent major renovations led by A.W. Tillinghast, a world-renowned golf course architect who has designed and created many golf courses in New York State.  Over the next twenty years, the configuration of the nine-hole layout was improved by adding sand traps, planting trees and relocating tees and greens.  In 1945, the original clubhouse was sold and a new clubhouse was built at the present Franklin Street Road site.

For over 40 years, Highland Park Golf Course maintained a premium nine-hole golf course.  In the 1970’s, the club invested in an additional 55 acres and build what is now the back nine.  Completed on July 4, 1974 and designed by Geoffrey S. Cornish, a famous New England golf course architect, the back nine offers the most challenge and adventure to the average golfer with its quick sloping greens surrounded by bunkers.  The ensuing years brought the required fine-tuning and maturity that completed the transition to an eighteen-hole golf course.

Then in 1996, the nearly fifty-year old clubhouse underwent a major expansion and renovation.   The transformation has made Highland Park Golf Course one of Central New York’s most sought after banquet facilities.

Barry Jordan, golf course architect and owner of Jordan Golf Design, designed and completed a massive sand bunker renovation project to the front nine holes.  Today, Highland Park Golf Course is known to be one of the most challenging and best-conditioned golf courses in Central New York with its Par 71, 18-hole parkland course stretching over 6400 yards in length.

On September 4, 2007 a fire destroyed Highland’s clubhouse.  After a year and a half of planning, a new clubhouse was built and opened in April of 2009.  The new clubhouse, which was designed by Michael Palmeri and built by Rocky McLaughlin of Cardinal Homes, was moved, from the destroyed building’s site, to the east and is now situated directly across from the 18th green.  With the large wrap around deck facing the final hole on the course, golfers will certainly feel the pressure of having to  “make the putt”  in front of  an audience watching from that deck.

Highland’s mission is to maintain a position as one of Central New York’s finest semi-private golf courses.  We will strive to maintain and improve our golf course and club facilities, to be responsive to membership needs and to strive to maintain and adequate and affordable membership.